- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 2 medium very ripe bananas
- 3 tbsp Sweet Freedom CHOC SHOT Orange Spice
- 4 tbsp Sweet Freedom FRUIT SYRUP
- 240ml almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 160g wholemeal flour
- 160g plain white flour
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 orange (grated zest only)
- 100g dairy free chocolate chips
- 80g wholemeal flour
- 50g dairy free butter
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 40g coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp Sweet Freedom CHOC POT
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C and line a 12 hole muffin tin with cases.
2. In a small bowl or mug mix the ground flax seeds with 3 tbsp. of cold water and set aside while you mix together the other ingredients.
3. Peel the bananas and break into chunks into a large bowl. Mash with a fork or potato masher.
4. Add the Sweet Freedom CHOC SHOT Orange Spice and FRUIT SYRUP, almond milk and whisk all together.
5. In a smaller bowl or jug put both the flours, the baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, raw cacao and nutmeg and mix together.
6. Add the flax and water mixture (often called a flax 'egg') to the large bowl of wet ingredients and stir.
7. Tip in the dry ingredients along with the grated orange zest and chocolate chips.
8. Use a rubber spatula to mix everything together well. Spoon evenly into your cupcake cases.
9. Crumble topping - Tip all the ingredients into a bowl and rub together with your finger tips until there are no lumps of the 'butter' remaining.
10. Sprinkle onto the top of each muffin then very gently push lightly into the mixture (this helps stop it falling off the cooked muffins!).
11. If leaving the muffins plain or using the chocolate topping don't make the crumble and just bake the muffins.
12. For all topping variations cook the muffins for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
13. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
14. Once completely cool store in an airtight container or spread around 1/2 a teaspoon of CHOC POT onto the top of each cooled muffin before storing.
Thank you Sam & Phil @thecookandhim for a delicious recipe.