chocolate orange spice mini loaf cakes
vegan chocolate treat
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup Sweet Freedom CHOC SHOT Orange Spice
- 1/4 cup Sweet Freedom FRUIT SYRUP
- 1 orange finely grated zest
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- a few spoonfuls Sweet Freedom CHOC POT
- Preheat your oven to 170C and lightly grease a 12 hole mini loaf tin with a little extra dairy-free spread or oil. You can also use a muffin tin if you don't have the loaf tin.
- Peel the bananas, break or cut into chunks and put into a large bowl. Mash with a fork or potato masher - they don't have to be complete puree, some lumps are fine!
- Add the CHOC SHOT Orange Spice and FRUIT SYRUP along with the grated orange zest and mix everything together.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and using a rubber spatula mix everything together lightly but thoroughly, scraping up from the bottom of the bowl making sure there aren't any pockets of flour.
- Evenly divide between the 12 holes of your tin then bake for 25 minutes until risen and springy to the touch. You can insert a cocktail stick into the centre of one of the cakes to check if it's cooked - if it comes out clean with no raw cake mix sticking to it they're done, if not, return to the oven for a few more minutes.
- While the cakes are cooking make the candied orange. Using a very sharp knife cut a disc off the top and bottom of the orange and stand upright. Run the knife from the top to the bottom, cutting the skin and some of the white pith off but none (or as little as possible) of the flesh.
- Slice those pieces into long strips and put into a small saucepan with 1 cup (230ml) water. Boil gently for 20 minutes then add the sugar and boil for a further 10 minutes until the liquid is reduced and syrupy. Set aside to cool.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before carefully lifting out and cooling completely on a wire rack.
- Spread your choice of frosting over the cooled cakes (we use CHOC POT!).
- Drain the syrup from the orange zest and cut the strips into small pieces then scatter them on top of the frosting.
- Store the cakes in an airtight container.
Thank you Sam & Phil @thecookandhim or a delicious recipe.